Saturday, January 23, 2010

Market Haul



I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those people who often shuns the farmers market in the winter. It's not that I've forgotten about it exacty; nor am I actively avoiding it. But winter weather makes reading the paper and having that second (okay, third) cup of coffee on Saturday mornings that much more appealing.

I've told myself that it's less important to go to the market in winter since not all the produce is local, but actually, there's still a lot of local produce (think apples, dairy, greens that are grown in hothouses) and the farms still need our business.

So today's haul:
Stayman apples. One to go in tomorrow's sauerkraut, two to sauté to serve alongside a puffy oven breakfast pancake, a couple for snacking.

Tiny, tiny brussels sprouts. I've stockpiled several boxes of Trader Joe's chestnuts before they're gone for the season. A few sprouts, a little bacon, some chestnuts. Yum.

Thick, stubby leeks. There's a ham bone in the freezer. Now I have leeks. That means soup.

Arugula. 'Nuff said.

Pork chops. Tomorrow's sauerkraut!

South Mountain Creamery Cream on Top Milk. I know, but it's richer than rich. We need an extra layer of fat in winter, right? (Go here to read about my feeding the calves at South Mountain Creamery).

What are you making this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment